Monday, June 22, 2009

Earth, Air, Fire, Water



The only reason I own Bram Stoker's Dracula is because of Gary Oldman. Ever since I can remember, this actor has fascinated me with his ability to completely transform into someone else. I dare anyone to watch his performance as Dracula and then immediately after check him out in The Fifth Element... one of my favorite films, just because. It's one of the ones that has no rhyme or reason to why it is likable and watchable. I suppose because there really isn't anything else quite like it. It makes the future look like what it might actually be... gritty, grimy, real, and yet shiny, metallic and cold. I also have a soft spot for Egypt (I will talk all about The Mummy series later) where both the beginning and the end take place. I could have lived without the ace bandage costume, but it's a small price to pay to see something creative and funny and entertaining yet clever and thoughtful at the same time. Did I mention that Milla Jovovich is a hidden gem?
"I don't know love..." the scene where she must convince a hardened former-military-turned-taxi-driver to admit he's fallen for her, is so sweet and is just one of those "moments." Chris Tucker just about steals the show as DJ Ruby Rhod- excellently naughty and the future of "metro" - a straight man who screams like a girl and wears head-to-toe leopard print. As the marvel of the imaginative (albeit scandalous) costuming continues, we see the evil and power-hungry Emmanuel Zorg. Yes, that is Dracula, with a limp, wearing what looks like an empty salad bowl on his head. Gary's accent, his facial tic, every mannerism and demeanor, is completely transformed from the suave and monstrous to the comical and monstrous.
Your next mission is to see him in Batman Begins...

Blurabbit's Take:
Eh, I can skip Dracula. Really bad acting, especially on Winona Ryder's part- and it was before she got her teeth fixed. Liked her in some other stuff though. And Keanu Reeve's British accent? Tell me you are kidding. But really, I have to agree with Cloud on this one, The Fifth Element is one of those movies you just have to see for yourself. Take a mental vacation and watch it; be transported, and you will not regret it. Out of the hat this time is a nice little rocket ship so we can all go to Fhloston Paradise to see Plava Laguna. Have a safe trip!

1 comment:

SLEAK said...

I love your new look!